TotalEnergies has been supporting small African companies since 2016, to help them to grow, develop and become sustainable. A way for the company to participate in the economic development of the African continent. And so it was that it launched a competitive award called: “startupper of the year”. The contest, which is in its third edition, is an important opportunity for young African entrepreneurs. The criteria to participate in the contest have not changed:
- be under 36 years old
- to have created a company for less than three years or to have a project of creation.
Beyond the entrepreneurial spirit, the “Startupper of the Year” competition reaffirms TotalEnergies’s commitment to the socio-economic development of the countries in which the company operates. This competition contributes to the strengthening of the local social fabric by supporting the most innovative entrepreneurs in the realization of their projects.
In November 2021, TotalEnergies launched the 3rd edition in 34 African countries. For this third edition, the “Startupper of the Year” Challenge by TotalEnergies will support and reward young African entrepreneurs between the ages of 18 and 35, who have either a business creation project or a startup that is less than three years old, regardless of the sector of activity; in other words, in any field that can contribute to socio-economic development.
1. How does the competition selection process work?
- Online submission of projects on a committed website between November 1 and January 31, 2016 (for the 1st edition)
- 3 selection phases until the audition of 10 finalists, then 3 winners per country
- Jury made up of personalities from the local socio-economic world and the CEO of the Total subsidiary
Among the criteria for selection: are the innovative nature of the project, development prospects and profitability, contribution to the development of the local community, ability to offer a substitute for imports.
2. What do the winners of the competition win?
- A bonus (financial support)
- A personalized business support
- Increased visibility of their project thanks to the media and advertising campaign that accompanies the competition
For the moment, no information on this year’s winners has been revealed. We are expecting to know more in the coming months.
3. Some numbers and highlights of the Startupper of the Year contest
a- The First edition in 2016
- 34 countries on the African continent participated in the “Startupper of the Year” Challenge.
- 24,000 entries were registered on the website for 11,000 completed applications.
- 102 winners were chosen, including 52 winners in the “idea” category and 50 winners in the “business creation” category.
- The four Pan-African Grand Prize winners were invited to Paris for a week to benefit from personalized coaching on their projects.
b- The second edition in 2019
- 55 countries in the world
- 50,000 registrations were recorded on the website for 15,400 completed applications, 65% of which came from the African continent.
- 165 winners
- Six Grand Prize Winners were nominated, including three African Grand Prize Winners.
These six Grand Winners were invited to Paris in mid-March 2019 for a week of personalized coaching.
Each participating country also nominated a “female favorite” label to promote female entrepreneurship.
The 55 “female favorites” were invited to Paris for a week in April 2019.
If you want to participate in the challenge or learn more about the competition, visit the competition website.